Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Feel the Earth Move

Both boys slept through their first earthquake yesterday. It only lasted about 30 seconds. (I was at work when it happened, and didn't know what it was until it was over! The floor of my office was vibrating, and I was trying to figure out if they were doing construction below me. Then I went out in the hallway, and heard my colleagues asking each other if the building was shaking!)

From the Raleigh News & Observer:

"North Carolinians were rattled Tuesday afternoon by a Virginia-centered earthquake that shook the entire East Coast.

Some buildings in downtown Raleigh were evacuated when the temblor set off alarms a few minutes before 2 p.m. No serious injury or damage was reported, but emergency centers were swamped by 911 callers who wanted to know what the heck just happened.

The U.S. Geological Survey said it was a 5.8-magnitude earthquake centered 36 miles northwest of Richmond, Va. - equaling the biggest quake ever recorded in Virginia, in 1897. The epicenter was about 150 miles northeast of Raleigh, and tremors were felt from Georgia to Massachusetts."

No comments: