Thursday, October 27, 2011

Costumes at Preschool







The boys got to wear their costumes to preschool today. They were also having a little Halloween festival in their classroom. We were Parents of the Day today, and I thought we'd scored the best day of the year...but much to my disappointment, all the festivities were over and the kids were out of their costumes by the time we were there. (Parent of the Day duties don't start until after snack.)  I was soooo sad!  If only I'd known, I would have asked to stick around!   Oh well, I'm sure the boys had a good time.  :)  They got to play some games and had a little parade, and went trick-or-treating in the 3 and 4  year old classrooms. 

In case you can't tell, Jamesie is a puppy dog and Mattie is a dragon.  (The Jamesie pictures aren't the best, but I thought I'd have more opportunity at school!) 

When we arrived at the classroom, there were five princesses there.  :)  I was happy to find out later that one little girl was a ladybug instead!

James's Early Intervention coordinator came to visit the classroom today as well, and she was chatting with the teacher during the walk. The teacher said that James was starting to talk more "and starting to put words together, like 'more water'."  I was really surprised to hear that, because at home he's regularly speaking in 4-5 word sentences. I mentioned being surprised, and the teacher said that the difference was probably that at school he's one of ten kids, and he tends to defer to the other kids.  I wasn't quite sure what that meant, but maybe just that he isn't going to try talk over someone if they're talking.  (It's interesting; none of the kids seemed to be talking all that much last time we were parents of the day, and this time a lot of them were talking more.  Maybe they're just getting more and more comfortable with school!)

In other news, the boys also got to visit with their former babysitter J this afternoon, and we (finally) got the blood test results back from the GI doctor (everything looked fine -- except, oddly, the prealbumin, which the doctor had earlier told us was fine.  But the prealbumin is nothing to worry about, except insofar as the discrepancy makes me worry that they might have mixed up the results!)

It was so cute -- when I came home, the boys were sitting in their high chairs, and Mattie said, "Did you have fun at work, Mommy?"  What a nice boy!  (He's also gotten pretty good at "no, thank you", but we have to remind him about "please."  And the other day I heard him say, "Excuse me, Stanley!" as he was walking around the dog.)

4 comments:

Nora said...

I wouldn't worry much about James not talking very much at school - he is probably still just taking it all in! Daniel's teachers made similar comments about him starting to talk more ages after he would talk non-stop at home!

I love the dinosaur costume!

Niki said...

That dino costume is a hoot!

Erin said...

Adorable! And the big pumpkin is great, how do they feel about slimey stuff? Their preschool sounds absolutely awesome.

Melanie said...

Nora -- how funny, right after the teacher said that, I remembered you telling us that Daniel had been quiet in school!

The dino costume was a pleasant surprise -- it didn't look that great when it wasn't on, but it turned out to be really cute!

Erin: Mike is excited about letting them play around with pumpkin guts. :) So if he gets around to the carving part, we'll see how they do with slimey stuff!