Friday, September 18, 2009

Jamesie's Day Out

Jamesie had an exciting day today -- he got to go on his first stroller ride! Grandma and Grandpa were able to wheel him around on a tour of the NICU. (No, he didn't get to go outside the hospital yet, but at least he was able to have a change of scenery from Pod F.) He was accompanied by his IV pole, but hey, we'll take what we can get. :)

I also fed him a bottle for the first time today. He did a great job. He drank all 10 ml, and although I was pacing him (tilting the bottle back after every few sucks so that he didn't get too much milk at once), he was basically doing a good job of pacing himself. As his nurse explained, he needed some pacing at the start to realize that the bottle wasn't a pacifier ("whoa, there's milk here!"), but after that, he did well. Very exciting!

Strollers and bottles are things that most parents take for granted, but for us, they seem like a wonderful gift.


James is up to 11 ml/hour on his feedings, and still doing fine. They also started fortifying it with a few extra calories (to 22 calories). I'm a little nervous about this since fortification can make it harder to digest, but we'll see how it goes.

And since Mom and Aunt Ann want a poop report, that seems to be fine, too. The docs know how much is too much, and he's definitely not doing that, but they don't really know how much to expect to tell whether it's too little. But he's putting some out on a regular basis, and he's not throwing up or having a distended belly, so they're happy with it.

4 comments:

Ann said...

The comment, "Strollers and bottles are things that most parents take for granted, but for us, they seem like a wonderful gift." Because of all you have gone through with these babies, I am sure that you will never take anything for granted!

I am in tears as I am writing this and although I wish from the bottom of my heart that you did not have to go through any of this, I also believe when the day comes that one of them spreads "poop" all over their crib, you will see it completely different than most of us! I cannot put into words what I am trying to say, but from what you have gone through, and not that you will not get upset or disappointed but you will have learned early on what battles to take and what just does not matter!

You know someday you will have to make a trip to Wheeling because I know everyone that is praying for James and Matthew will want to meet them!

I am so proud of how you two have handled this trial and I pray that you all will be blessed! And I know you will!

Niki said...

YIPPEEEEEEEE!
Let me know when i can take those 2 boys parasailing.

Tanya said...

Its wonderful to see so much good news CONSISTENTLY! It must be a nice thing to get used to! I'm so happy for your family.

Melanie said...

Ann -- Yes, we would love to bring them to Wheeling!

Niki -- they have to at least learn to sit up by themselves before they go parasailing. :)

Tanya -- We are definitely enjoying the good news, but I don't think I'd say I'm used to it yet. :) I still hold my breath every time we call for updates!