Thursday, July 2, 2009

Air Babies

We just called again to check in on the boys, and Matthew has been breathing regular air -- no cannula, even -- for about five hours now! Wow! And his brother James has been on the cannula for the last couple of hours, and will stay on it indefinitely, unless he starts having problems and needs to go back to the CPAP. (Or, of course, until he can transition to regular air as well.) His nurse says he's much happier with the cannula, and we're not surprised! Bravo, babies!

Among other things, these new developments will make it much easier to hold them. :)

The doctors have also discontinued the babies' caffeine, since the boys are hitting the age where they may be starting to grow out of the apnea of prematurity. (Hmm, I wonder if this means I have to discontinue my caffeine?)

The nurse also said that she dressed James and swaddled him, which I'm sure he's happy about. And he lost more weight last night, which is also great (getting rid of more of that extra fluid). We can't wait to go in to see them, but I woke up with a little sniffle, so we're holding off for a while -- hopefully it's not a cold, but just in case, we don't want to take any chances.

4 comments:

Niki said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Melanie,

I have been monitoring the boys from the blog all week. I miss them!!! It sounds like they both are doing so well. I cant wait to see James with his cannula. Thats so exciting. I will check on up on them this weekend when I am there.. Happy 4th!

Jenna

Yvonne said...

Like you've said before,'things happen fast' - in this case, they are making rapid progress! Very nice.

Mike said...

Jenna -- James misses you too! Hope to see you this weekend.