Sunday, June 5, 2016

Bargain Street

The apartment complex has a shopper's shuttle that goes to various malls in the area, so I explored a new one the other night -- Bugis Junction.  The mall is pretty typical, albeit with a large number of delicious-looking places to eat (the one I chose was a "Mexican-Turkish" stall that sold both kebabs and burritos -- unexpected, but really yummy!)

But behind the mall is Bugis Street with various alleys branching off it, and this is Tourist Bargain Central.  It's jam-packed with people and stalls selling all kinds of tourist stuff (magnets, pens, decorative plates) at discount prices.  (I'm sure it's all mass-produced in China, as so many things are these days.)  It was fun to go take a look, though, and I did end up with a fabulous new wallet to memorialize my time in Singapore.  (Mike thinks it's extremely tacky, and he's no doubt right, but I love it!)

They were also having some kind of spray-painting/public art thing going on.  (The Angry Birds were on the door of McDonalds, which is heavily promoting the Angry Birds movie.)










No comments: