Thursday, April 12, 2012

Class Picture Day

 What handsome boys!

Also today, the school district teacher for the hard-of-hearing came to visit the preschool (as part of the evaluation process). She was concerned that the classroom wasn't the best hearing environment -- it's loud and has a lot of echoes, so she is worried that James might not be able to hear his peers well. (I hadn't noticed that in my visits, but she actually did sound readings, and it's about 65 decibels when the kids are just doing relatively quiet activities -- the recommendation for classrooms is to be more like 35 db.)  He'll be in a different room next year, and there may be steps we can help them take to improve the situation -- we'll see.  But the saving grace for this year is that, at least in my observations, the 2-year-olds actually don't talk to each other much at all in the classroom, and when they do, it seems to mostly be along the lines of, "That's my toy!  I was playing with it!"  So I don't think he's missed much on that score, but it's good to be aware of for the future.

1 comment:

Niki said...

35 decibels?!?!?
Heck, my apartment isn't even 35 decibels.
No place where there are children is gonna be only 35 decibels.
I do hope that next year's room is better for him, though.