Saturday, March 3, 2012

Vocab

James's hearing therapist is doing some testing to prepare her evaluation report for the Exceptional Children program. She did a receptive vocabulary test today, where we would say a word and James had to point to one of four pictures. I think he did really well! We didn't actually finish the test, because after he'd been doing it for a while, he got tired of it and started to push the book away. (Before that, Karen kept saying, "he just has to miss six in a row and then we can stop." He did miss a stretch of five, but then started getting them right again! I didn't realize he knew "swan" and "juggler", but apparently he does.) Rock on, James!

Mattie was playing with one of Karen's toys, a bus with some characters inside it. He looked in, laughed, and said with surprise, "I didn't know a doggie could ride the bus!" I think you had to be there, but it was really cute. His favorite words/phrases for today were adding "though" to the end of a sentence ("I want to read that one, though") and "I think that was the problem." ("I cried and woke Jamesie up. I think that was the problem." Yes, yes, it was, son.) He also is claiming that someone "startled me!" even when they haven't. :)

The other day he spent quite a bit of time riding his tractor "to work." My favorite was, "I'm going to work! What's my student's name?", and then, later, "I have no student at my work. I have a beagle and a teddy bear." (Work, apparently, is in his bedroom, and involves putting stuffed animals to bed.)

When we were driving to preschool on Tuesday, we passed a bus stop, and I pointed out the people waiting for the bus. Mattie asked where they were going, and I said, "Probably to work or school." Mattie replied, "I don't think so. I think they're going to college!"

No comments: