Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Preview of Coming Attractions

Scene from our rooming-in: Mike has left the room for a few minutes. Matthew starts screaming, and while I'm busy changing his diaper, James starts crying too. So when Mike arrives, I'm holding James's pacifier in his mouth with one hand, and I've got Matthew in the other arm, propping up his bottle with my chin so that he can eat. (Our life sure is going to be different soon!)

The rooming-in is going fine; we're getting the hang of using the feeding pump, and James has been doing well with his bottles, too. His VCUG (flow test to make sure urine wasn't refluxing into his kidneys) turned out normal, so he's off the antibiotics that they had him on as a preventative for UTIs. And they'd tested to rule out hepatitis as a cause of his elevated bilirubin, and that came back normal/negative as well, so all good news.

James's nurse had him out in the stroller when we arrived, and he had three pacifiers (still in their packages) tucked in around him. We joked that she was well-supplied, and she told us that he'd been leaving a trail of them around the halls (just like breadcrumbs, so he could find his way back).

3 comments:

Ann said...

Yea, there will be days like that!

Thank you so much for the photo gift. It is one of the most precious gifts I have ever received! I cannot wait to take it to church as I am sure everyone will want to see it! Of course, when I update people, I always send a picture too!

Sounds if James is working on getting himself home! How exciting! I wish I could be there for the homecoming!! I definitely want to make a trip back down but who knows when!!!

Blessings to all of you! Auntie Ann and family

Kimberly said...

Ahh, the ol "bottle propped under the chin". I remember that well. You'll do just fine.

Anonymous said...

Hey M,
I am glad to hear things are going so well! My due date is this Friday so we may bump into you guys unless they let Jamsie go home by then.
:)
R