Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bielefeld


Matthew and James would approve of the Dusseldorf airport!
I arrived today in Germany.  (When the passport official asked about the purpose of my trip, I said I was here for a conference.  He said, "Ah, business, no fun?"  And I said, "Well, I think there will be at least a little fun!")

I took the train from Dusseldorf to the conference town, Bielefeld. (They did a last-minute track change -- announced only in German -- so I had to run for it, but I made it!)

The view from my hotel window (Bielefeld main train station)
The weather was cloudy and a bit rainy, but I bought an umbrella, which meant that it didn't rain when I was walking around.  :)  The town has a big shopping street, and a neat old town with a little flower and vegetable market.  The big attraction is the castle, Sparrenberg, and I made it up there to see the nice views -- but then jet lag hit!

I called home from my stop in the Atlanta airport on the way, and Mike reported that the front doorknob had fallen off and that Matthew had a rash all over and he was taking him to the pediatrician.  :)  Not exactly a smooth start, but fortunately Mattie just had hives (for no reason that they could figure out), and they're gone today after a dose of Benadryl. 
Doner Kebab for lunch
Bielefeld Rathaus
Old Town (Altstadt) Market

I don't know who this guy with the pipe is, but there are a bunch of statues of him
Sparrenberg Castle
View from Sparrenberg

1 comment:

Niki said...

I do so love living vicariously through your professional conferences.