Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rude Awakenings

Yesterday morning, Matthew woke up crying at 6:45 AM. He didn't want to be awake, and neither did I (there's something far more civilized about getting up when the clock says 7 instead of 6), but something was making him uncomfortable enough that he couldn't quite get fully back to sleep. After several failed attempts to soothe him, I decided he was hungry and took him out to get some milk.

As I was getting the milk ready, I realized I hadn't heard anything from James's room. I had halfway expected that James would wake up early and be hungry, because he had a big eating day and so he didn't get much food overnight. And James has also recently decided that he likes to sleep on his tummy (we put him down on his back, but he can easily roll himself over), so I've been checking on him a little more often. Matthew had quieted down, so I took him into the nursery with me. Just as I reached the side of the crib, Matthew let out a tremendous fart, and then, for good measure, followed it up with another one. Poor little James had been sleeping peacefully, but he jumped when he heard that! (Fortunately, it didn't wake him all the way up.)

In other news, I recently ordered a Sesame Street album, and I was excited because I thought it would be fun to share songs from my youth with the babies. I know it's a common experience that things from childhood don't always hold up in adulthood, but I was a bit disappointed to discover that despite my enduring love for the Muppets, I much prefer hearing people sing in real voices than hearing them sing in fake character voices, even if the songs themselves are fun ("These are the people in your neighborhood!" "Rubber Ducky!"). Yet another rude awakening. :) So, the babies' current playlist includes Paul Simon and Sing Along with Putomayo (which includes a truly rockin' version of Old MacDonald) instead. And, of course, whatever Mike decides to play for them on the guitar (which frequently and inexplicably is "Bad Moon Rising").

[The picture is unrelated to the post topic -- I just thought it was cute! Jamesie is in blue and Mattie is in brown.]

1 comment:

craig said...

Some Sesame Street albums are definitely better than others. If you want some real-person singing, I'm actually quite fond of _Elmopalooza_. They may be a bit young for it, though. And hearing Shawn Colvin sing "I don't want to live on the moon" still doesn't compare to Jim Henson/Ernie singing it...