Sunday, August 4, 2013

Let the Beach Festivities Begin


We arrived at the beach house this afternoon (after stopping for a seafood lunch).  The kids couldn't wait to head out to the water, but we had to hold them off for a little bit while we unpacked. :)

They had a great time!  The surf was a bit rough, but that didn't seem to bother the kids any (even when they got knocked down).  The other cousins spent time building sand castles, but for the most part, Mattie and James were all about the water.  (Mike went out further for a little while to ride some waves in, and Mattie kept saying, "I want to go in the deep end!"  Not quite yet, kiddo!)

When we took a break from the beach, Grandma gave Mattie a notebook to use as a coloring book (she'd gotten ones for all the kids), and had some markers.  Mattie said, with delight, "Markers?  I didn't know we had markers!"  I told him that Grandma had gotten them, and he said, "Grandmas do things we don't expect!  Grandma is cool.  I was wanting to draw with markers, and now my wish has come true, thanks to Grandma!"   (I should note that he had mentioned nothing about drawing or markers previously, but I love his enthusiasm!)

After dinner the kids chased each other around playing zombies, and after the after-dinner beach walk, James introduced his cousins to Plants vs. Zombies on the iPad: "I'm playing with my cousins and my one brother, Matthew!"  (Cousin Daniel would be proud.)

At bedtime, they informed me that Mattie was the Frozen Pea Shooter ("I'll keep shooting frozen peas as long as I keep eating ice cubes!") and Jamesie was the Cherry Bomb (both of these are plants from the game).









No comments: