Fortunately it was not super deep (although it was slippery and maybe up to his shoulders), so James was kind of pushing off the bottom and mostly keeping his head above water, but he wasn't able to get himself out. I yelled and Mike came running and waded in to get James. By this point, Mattie and I had run over, too. James cried a little bit when he was first out -- I'm sure it was a shock! -- but he recovered quickly. ("I went this way, and I went that way, and then I saw Daddy!)
(Then, of course, minutes after that, our friends' son wiped out on the path and scraped up his knee -- who knew the gardens were so dangerous??)
So, it was all well and good, except that Mike had seen news reports about a brain-eating amoeba that lives in warm bodies of water -- infections are extremely rare but almost always fatal. We were pretty sure we didn't have to worry, but we kept a closer eye on him the next few days just in case! He's now past the danger zone, so it can just be an amusing story. :) (The only casualty appears to be the SIM card in Mike's cell phone.)
No comments:
Post a Comment