The first part of the visit was going over the boys' history. One question on the information form was, "Were there any problems during the pregnancy or the first year? If so, explain." And then they only gave one line for a response. I had to laugh at that one. ("Here is a way in which we are different from normal people.") It was underneath the section where you check off various conditions in the medical history, so for James, I just put "Extensive; see above."
They did not seem too fazed by that, though, and in fact the staff seemed quite knowledgable about preemie issues. Both boys have some little mottling on their front teeth which is probably a preemie developmental thing (basically, that there was some interruption when those teeth were developing, where the body needed to focus on more important things). That shouldn't affect their permanent
All the staff there were really nice, and obviously experts at dealing with little kids. They started out the visit (after talking to me without the boys) with letting the boys each pick out what color balloon they
Both of them are getting some more molars in. As we knew, James's teeth are coming in more slowly than Mattie's did, but they're all in the right sequence, so there's no problem with that.
The dentists didn't make us feel bad about our failure to regularly (translation: ever) brush the boys' teeth, but they gave us good encouragement about how to make it part of the routine. They also didn't seem concerned that the boys were still drinking bottles rather than sippy cups, so maybe I'll continue to not push that transition for a while. (The problem is that we probably have to go cold turkey with Mattie since he's still rejecting milk served in a cup, but we don't want to do anything with James that will reduce his calorie intake. I just can't see it going over well if James is allowed bottles and Mattie isn't.)
The balloons were a big hit for the rest of the afternoon. :)
2 comments:
I'm thinking of my son, Nathan, because his front teeth are crooked. It's a wise decision to have it fixed by a reliable cosmetic dentist in Los Angeles. Nathan was considered premature so we really took good care of him. He stayed for two months in the NICU. I just hope his teeth aren't that terribly affected because he's a premature at birth.
Jenna -- I think our dentist said that only baby teeth are affected by being premature, not their permanent teeth. Good luck to you and your son!
Post a Comment